If a link in a post doesn't open correctly hold down the CTRL (or Control) key and then click on the link. Then choose "Open in a new window (or tab)".

Friday, July 28, 2017

2017 Doris Duke Conservation Scholar: Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson

I am a rising senior at Brown University, where I am expecting to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies. Growing up in Salt Lake City, Utah, I had little exposure to diverse opinions, cultures, or backgrounds, which greatly contributed to my choice of attending a university over 2,000 miles away in Providence, Rhode Island. I had a deep interest in exploration throughout my childhood and education, and indulged that at Brown by taking courses in 14 different academic departments from Engineering, Chinese, and Anthropology. 

After taking a couple of Environmental Studies courses, I decided that is where my future lie as I greatly appreciate the interdisciplinary nature of the work. I also have experience advocating for social justice, and have worked as a Women’s Peer Counselor for two years, and a Sexual Assault Lead Peer Educator for one year at Brown University. Continuing my focus on incorporating many areas of study into one academic major, I wish to learn more about the balance between science and society, and how to use scientific data to create policies that will benefit people and their environment. 

Additionally, I spent the spring semester of my Junior year studying China’s environment in Beijing, and learned about the role of the Chinese people and globalization in climate change. In China, I continued to learn how to incorporate different disciplines into one area of study, but was unable to engage directly with members of the community. Through this internship, I am looking forward to having more opportunities for community engagement and learn about the ways local, state, and national policies can impact different communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment